Skip to main content

Brief: Business Card Design

For one of our ongoing pieces of work set, we have been asked to create a business card of our chose for a made-up business within York.

Company: Barry's Barbers
Target Audience: Males
Purpose: To Persuade

Back
Front

My idea behind this business card is that i wanted to stray away from the stereotypical shape that is overused (e.g. 85mm x 55mm). I randomly chose a hairdresser as the occupation I would base my business card on, so I started thinking of ideas which would be more unique. I started looking online for examples of business cards for barbers, and decided to discard any of the things that were repeated. Most commonly used things were scissors, combs, moustaches etc. I started some sketching that I had, and considered how I could make a professional, simple and effective design which would appeal to the intended audience.
I then had the idea of just creating a silhouette of a males head from a side view, and then making the business card that shape. 

As well as this idea being made just on card,  I could consider possibly using a different material to make the business card. One idea could be creating it on some wood, where the text and imprints could be made on through a laser printer.

This would be a clever concept,  but it would be unrealistic for a corner shop barbers to use wood as a material for a business card, as the costs of producing them would not be beneficial. However, if the business was a high end hairdressers in London, then the idea could be good, and would certainly be eye-catching to the stereotypical wealthy businessman in London.

In terms of the use of colour, I left my initial idea in just black and white. I feel that it is easy to understand the purpose of the card, without complicating it with colour. However, if I was to include colour, I could make the hair/beard a certain colour, such as brown/blonde to highlight the fact that it is a barbers. However, I feel it would make it look less professional if it was given colour, and I prefer the negative space of the original design. 

Comments